Ever wondered what that one product is that’ll change your skin for good? For me, it has to be the Mama Cica Oil Fix Exfoliating Gel Mask. As a skincare editor, I come across a lot of skincare products but very few leave their mark on me – not literally, of course! And when this unique gel mask came to me, I was a little apprehensive but I am pleased to tell you it left me happy and my skin glowing!
About my skin: Combination, dry in the winters
I stay in a fairly humid city, so in summers and monsoons, my T-zone stays oily while the rest of my face is normal, making my skin combination skin. Which is why I try to look for gel-type products which support my t-zone while also giving ample moisturisation to the rest of my face. My T-zone also tends to be acne-prone, though with consistent skincare, I have more or less conquered this issue. Apart from this, in winters, my skin becomes dry and scaly and I switch to heavier, creamier moisturizers to keep my skin soft, supple and glowing.
So what exactly is the Mama Cica Oil Fix Exfoliating Gel Mask?
We’ve all heard of clay masks for smooth, blemish free skin, but gel masks have always been something of a question mark. This mask is a deep forest green gel that feels light as air. The texture is soft and bouncy, and it spreads like butter. Like most gels, it is lightweight and feels refreshing when applied. Here is a lowdown of its main ingredients:
- Cica: Also known as Brahmi, this indigenous plant is packed with amino acids, beta-carotene and vitamins. It helps improve skin hydration and elasticity and gives you an intense boost of moisture. Suitable for sensitive skin, it also helps treat pimples, oiliness and strengthens the skin barrier.
- Korean Ginseng: This Korean beauty secret ingredient is known for its brightening and anti-aging properties. It also smoothens fine lines and restores skin firmness, while protecting the skin from free radical damage and other environmental aggressors
- Lotus Root: Another great hydrating hero, lotus root is great for acne! This plant extract also helps soothe, clarify and improve skin tone. An excellent source of vitamin C, it brightens complexion, lightens spots and prevents signs of aging.
- Rosemary Leaf Oil: Your newest acne hero! Known for its skin purifying properties, rosemary leaf oil helps control excess oil, shine and prevents breakouts. Intensely hydrating, radiance boosting and replenishing, this gentle ingredient keeps skin healthy and rejuvenated while improving overall skin health.
- Green Algae: Known as the ‘breathing algae’, it helps to detoxify pores, cleanse skin and maintain proper oil-water balance in the skin. Loaded with vitamin B and antioxidants, it soothes damaged and irritated skin while keeping pimples and acne at bay.
Apart from this, it also contains arginine, which helps protect the skin from free radical damage and increases the skin’s hydration levels. It also contains allantoin, a soothing ingredient that promotes healing and helps with skin cell regeneration.
Due to these power-packed ingredients, this soothing mask works wonders for active acne, calming it down and reducing redness. It gently sloughs away dead skin cells, revealing a brighter, smoother complexion! As soon as I apply this gel, my skin feels instantly refreshed and cooled and my active acne, if any, also feel soothed. Once I wash it off, my skin looks visibly brighter, smoother and more hydrated – this product certainly delivers on what it claims to do! So, whenever my skin needs a little something extra, I reach out for this baby and relax with a book while it does its magic.
Here’s how to include this gel mask in your daily skincare routine:
If you’re wondering that you’ll have to add yet another step to your Korean skincare routine, let me tell you that it will make all the difference! Here is my skincare routine. For reference, I have combination skin that tends to be a bit on the sensitive side.
Step 1: Cleanse
I always start my skincare routine with a nice double cleanse. My favourite oil cleanser has to be the Mon Cherry Dirt Dissolving Cleansing Balm which contains salicylic acid and moringa oil which keep my skin clear and happy! I take a dime sized amount and use it on dry skin and massage the oil in. Using lukewarm water, give it a thorough cleanse. I usually follow up with a gentle water-based cleanser like Mon Cherry Brightening Foam Cleanser to complete my double cleanse routine.
Step 2: Tone + Prep
Essence is my bae. No matter what other steps I skip, I never skip this one. I use the super hydrating Mama Cica Intense Oil Control Essence that contains potent cica and peony root along with sea buckthorn extracts that soothes any redness and gives my skin an instant burst of hydration. I pat it in gently until absorbed. If my skin is feeling too dry, I usually apply a couple more layer to boost moisture. It also aids absorption of my other skincare products.
Step 3: Use the Gel Mask to exfoliate
After that, once or twice a week, I apply a thin layer of the Mama Cica Oil Fix Exfoliating Gel Mask. It is powered by green algae which is also known as breathing algae. It contains vitamin B and a ton of antioxidants that restore the skin to its best state. This mask also keeps acne at bay – win win! After applying, I relax for 10-15 minutes and rinse.
Step 4: Treat
After rinsing, when skin is still a bit damp, I go in with my favourite serum – Chialeader Zit Fix Serum that is powered by salicylic acid and tea tree leaf that soothes acne and prevents breakouts. It also contains ceramides and glycerin so like most acne treatments, it keeps the skin soft, hydrated and soothed! Just a few drops are enough for me, and it absorbs almost instantly!
Step 5: Moisturize
I like to seal in all the hydration and the hard work by applying a lightweight serum that won’t weigh my skin down. I use the Mon Cherry Ultra Light Moisturizing Gel which has a light, lingering scent which instantly boosts my mood. It also contains moringa oil and 2% niacinamide which helps keep my skin soft and glowing. Just a dime-sized amount is enough to cover my face and neck!
Step 6: Protect
If I plan to step out, I always follow up with a lightweight, non-comedogenic sunscreen. Make sure you pick one that is broad-spectrum and high SPF! Apply a generous layer on your face and neck and wait at least 20 minutes before stepping out!
So this was my daily skincare routine. Customize it to your own skin and time and let the results speak for itself!