Cleansing your skin is a vital part of any basic skincare routine and it’s important that you wash your face twice a day to remove all surface dirt and impurities and keeps your skin smooth and blemish-free. Skipping this important step can create havoc for your skin leading to dullness, breakouts and clogged pores. Clean skin is a prerequisite for all skincare steps that follow and if you want your serums, moisturizers and treatment products to work well, make sure you give your skin a thorough wash. Are you one of those who despite washing their face feels that skin needs much thorough wash or your skin post washing feels too tight, dry or irritated, then you might want to try a double cleansing method.
Why Your Skincare Routine Must Include Double Cleansing
If you are looking for supple, smooth and hydrated skin free from pollution, dirt and grime then this buzzy skincare method is a must-try. With origins in the 10-step Korean skin care routine, double cleansing means washing your face twice: once with an oil-based cleansing balm to remove makeup, dirt, pollution and excess sebum - basically anything found in your pores and on the surface of the skin. This step removes all debris that a water-based cleanser wouldn't be able to attract as water and oil don't mix. The second step is using a water-based foaming or non-foaming cleanser to further clean up the skin and remove any leftover dirt, grime or cleanser residue.
If you are someone who wears makeup everyday then double cleansing is one of best methods to ensure all clean skin at the end of the day as the first step in breaks down your long-wear makeup, waterproof mascara and eyeliner while the second step cleanses skin. This process helps in brightening, unclogging pores, improving texture and provides you healthy, glowing complexion.
Whether or not you should double cleanse depends on your lifestyle and your skin type and skin concerns too. If you have naturally dry or combination skin and you have not worn makeup or sunscreen during the day, you can probably skip double cleansing. Using a water-based cleanser will remove all impurities from your skin. If you on the other hand use makeup daily or have excessively oily skin then we recommend double cleansing at least once a day.
How to Double Cleanse: A Step-By-Step Guide
A great thing to do for your skincare, an ideal double cleansing routine with the right skincare products can set your base for further skincare steps that follow and enhances the effectiveness of the night-time skincare treatment products you use after (including the absorption of active ingredients in your skincare items). For people with oily skin, double cleansing helps in balancing oil production and keeping skin fresh while for someone with dry or acne-prone skin, excessive cleansing may lead to irritation. Pay attention to what your skin needs and decide on the skincare routine you want to follow. But we do have listed simple steps to follow below:
- To start, you need the right cleanser that doesn't strip the skin of its natural oils. With clean, dry hands, scoop out a small amount of cleansing balm and warm between your fingers.
- Once you feel it starting to melt, apply to your dry face and begin to gently massage in circular motions all over your face.
- Massage for between one to two minutes. If you have eye makeup on, lightly massage the product gently around the eye area until the makeup starts to break down.
- The gentle massage will also improve blood flow and activate your lymph nodes for fresher looking, glowing skin.
- Add water to emulsify the oil and massage again. Rinse well with lukewarm water or wipe off with face cloth or tissue.
- For clear and refreshed skin, remember to double cleanse, by following up with a foaming or non-foaming water-based cleanser. Use a small amount of your chosen cleanser and massage into your skin for about 30-40 seconds using your fingertips. Make sure you are covering your entire face, throat and jaw line. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Apply a hydrating facial essence post cleansing and toning to revitalize and deeply hydrate your skin. Follow it up your favourite moisturizer or serum since this is prime time for your skin to lock in moisture.